Chickweed Pesto – use those weeds that usually go on the compost for a delicious and very nutritious addition to the spring dishes.
In a food processor process
- Clean and wash 3 or so cups of fresh chickweed
- 5 cloves garlic – peeled
- 1 ½ cups walnuts, almonds, cashews or pine nuts
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, sunflower or safflower, or melted coconut oil – OK to blend these
- 1 cup Parmesan, hard Colby, or Asiago cheese or hard goat or sheep cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 scrubbed Jerusalem artichokes – aprox 3 oz. (purchase at http://wp.me/P38SpY-O)
Process all but the oil till smooth, then add the oil or oils chosen in a drizzle till you get a thickish batter consistency.
Optional: 8 oz. sour cream or crème fraise. Then refrigerate
Uses: Add to pasta dishes or serve as a dip, use as a salad dressing, or with tomato salsa on toasted bread as an appetizer.